Claire at clairehuston nominated me for this tag. I love getting nominated for tags and things so of course I’m ever grateful to Claire for nominating me. She’s a very creative blogger and you should really go and have a look at her blog if you haven’t done so already.
The Confessions of a Writer Tag was created by Nicolette at A Little Bookish, A Little Writerly. It is a ‘get-to-know’ the writer interview tag, dedicated to spotlighting the creative process, works in progress, and connecting to other writers.
Rules of the Tag:
- Please link back to A Little Bookish, A Little Writerly’s post, so that the original rules are always accessible to anyone who is curious and wants to participate!
- Acknowledge the person who tagged you in your post.
- Tag your friends and fellow writers – it’s up to you how many!
- When did you first start writing? Was being a writer something you always aspired to be?
For a little while now I’ve had ideas for stories coming into my head. It’s only really this year that I’ve decided to start writing them. The problem is that it’s going to take years with the ideas I have now – with all the new ideas I get I’ll never get through them.
- What genre do you write?
I tend to write Scifi and fantasy type stories. No novels yet, just short stories but I have started my first novel need to get working on it properly.
- Can you tell us a little about your current work in progress? When did you start working on this project?
I started working on a story that’s been in my head for ages. Where the human race race had been force to evolve by manipulation of is history by a race that is nearly extinct and needs to survive and wants human kind to help them take their war to their enemy. That’s the basic in nuthell, but this will be a big story with lots of plot twists and unexpected events.
- What was your first piece that you can remember writing? What was it about?
The first piece I wrote was about how the New Horizons space probe found more at Pluto that it was meant to find. This is going to be published on here soon.
- What’s the best part about writing?
I find it a way to unleash my imagination and be in another world for a time.
- What’s the worst part about writing?
Finding time to do it.
- What’s the name of your favorite character and why? (This can be from a book by another author or from your own work. Book crushes are perfectly acceptable here as well.)
I have so many – I can’t name one.
- How much time a day/week do you get to write? When is the best time for you to write (morning or night)?
It varies greatly depending on what’s going on, but I grab the time that I can.
- Did you go to college for writing? Or if you haven’t been to college yet, do you plan to?
I’m an engineer and haven’t studied writing in a proper course. But I’ve been inspired to write now!
- What bothers you more: spelling errors, punctuation errors, or grammar errors?
It depends, I think punctuation most because is can change the meaning of what you’re writing or make a sentence too long. Spelling and grammar come into one and I often have the spell checker alert me of something when writing scifi. To me writing is a message, if you convey the message then you’ve succeeded.
- What is the best writing advice that anyone has given you?
Write for yourself – not anyone else.
- What advice would you give to another writer?
Write for yourself and not anyone else and don’t be afraid to share your work (especially in the blogging world)
- What are your favorite writing sites or blogs that you turn to for help, tips or encouragement?
I think Kristin Lamb and Rachael Ritchey are awesome 🙂
- Besides writing, what else do you enjoy doing? What are your hobbies?
Other things I love doing include baking, reading and being outside:
- What is the best book you’ve read this year?
It has to be 2001 a space odyssey as this is my biggest scifi inspiration.
- What is the best movie you’ve seen this year?
I have’s seen anything new this year I dont think – I want to see the Martian as everyone is raving about it oh and Star Wars.
- What is your favorite book or series of all time?
Probably the Lord of the Rings
- Who is your favorite author?
Definitely Arthur C Clarke
- What are your plans for the rest of the year in terms of your writing?
I want t do NaNoWriMo next year and need to practice. Keep doing what I’m doing and see where I get.
- Where else can we find you online?
I’m on Twitter on @Planet_Simon
I would like to these amazing fellow bloggers and writers:
I hope you guys have the time to take part. And thank you again to Claire for nominating me!