The Yule log was originally a huge (and it must have been huge) log that was selected to burn in a house over the Christmas period. The tradition is that once this log was lit it must not go out until burned up. These days the Yule log is smaller and more edible. If you’re twiddling your thumbs, wondering what to do in the few days before Christmas here’s an idea for you – make a Yule log! This is a chocolate Swiss roll covered in chocolate butter icing and it’s a bit delic!
The recipe for the swiss roll is:
75g castor Sugar
60g Self Raising Flour
20g Cocoa Powder
Line a 8″ x 12″tray with greaseproof paper, preheat oven to 200C.
1) Mix eggs with electric mixer for two minutes.
2) Add castor sugar to eggs, mix with electric mixer for about 8 minutes until the consistency and colour of whipped double cream.
3) Sieve flour and cocoa powder twice.
4) Gently fold in flour an cocoa powder into egg mix. Ensure it’s well mixed.
5) Pour mix into tray and bake for about 10 minutes.
6) Once baked, turn out onto a clean tea towel. Cut the crispy edges and roll up in the tea towel inside it while still hot. Leave for about 1 minute.
7) Unroll and fill with jam, cream or both.
Once this is done make chocolate butter icing by mixing butter with icing sugar and cocoa power. I almost always wing it with butter icing and make it to look and taste. Once you’ve made this and smooth this over to make it look log like. Then decorate festively however you like! This is sweet and yummy, best with double or clotted cream it’s a heart attack in a bowl.
I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!